For a single loaf
- 530g (57%) spelt flour
- 350g (37%) water
- 10g ( 1%) salt
- 40g ( 5%) raw sugar
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup sourdough starter
- Gently mix all ingredients together
- Place in a bowl and cover. Let sit for 30 minutes
- Every 15-60 minutes, do a gently stretch and fold
- Hold the dough and let gravity pull it for the most part
- Fold, rotation 90 degrees and repeat
- Repeat several times
- Repeat the stretch and fold procress 3-4 more times
- (Optional) let sit, covered, overnight
- Do a final stretch and fold to de-gas the dough a bit
Note: I find this recipe works best if you do a bit more dough then divide into two smaller loaves. Eg ~670g spelt flour.
- Pre-heat oven to 450F. Leave a baking pan on the lower rung to heat up with the oven
- Place the dough in a 9” square pan
- Pour 1⁄2 - 1 cup of water in hot pan (careful not to splash oven glass)
- Place the dough in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 200F
As a quick reference:
- instant or dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup spelt flour
Mix together and let sit.
- Drain any liquid
- Keep 1⁄4 cup of sourdough starter aside.
- Add 1⁄4 cup water, 1⁄4 cup spelt flour and mix
Feed every 2 days at room temperature, or every week if kept in the fridge.